The George Washington Elm Historic Tree
The commemorative plaque in front of this tree reads:
George Washington Elm
Under The Forebearer Of This American Elm George Washington Assumed Command Of The Continental Army At Cambridge, Massachusetts, July 3, 1775. This Sprig Of The “Washington Elm” Was Donated To The By The Coconino Chapter Of The Daughters Of The American Revolution And Planted Here On April 22, 1931. Plaque Was Replaced 1983 By Arizona Society Of The National Society Daughters Of The American Revolution.
Click to view plaque.
American Elm was the dominant street and shade tree throughout much of the U.S., prior to the introduction of Dutch Elm Ddisease. Dutch elm disease was first found in the United States in Ohio in 1930. It has now spread throughout North America and has destroyed over half the elm trees in the northern United Sates. The disease has been reported in all states except the desert Southwest. Research is ongoing to find a way to deal with this problem.
American Elm has a naturally elegant growth pattern and grows to 100 feet, with diameter of 4 feet. The largest tree still alive is in Tennessee and is 122 feet tall, with a girth of 23 feet, 1 inch.
For more information on American Elms and the George Washington Elm, visit the links below: