AQCP Teacher Resources
Teacher General Air Quality Resources:
The AQCP materials are intended to serve as a supplement to the U.S. EPA's
Air Information Resources for Education (K-12) Guide for Instructors. In addition
to a number of warm-up exercises, there are many activities, a glossary, and background
reading materials on important topics, including
Individual sections of this publication, as well as the entire document, are
available on the web at:
- Air pollution
- Indoor air quality
- Health effects
- Weather and air quality
- Acid deposition
- Greenhouse effect
- Automobiles and air pollution
- Clean fuels
- Air pollution allowance trading
- Clean Air Act
Several basic air quality issues are central to understanding the topic of
air pollution. You might find it beneficial to look through the following
documents and visit some of the Air Quality by Issue links prior to beginning
an investigation with your students.
This fact sheet describes the basic mechanics that cause temperature inversions.
This fact sheet describes the six criteria pollutants regulated under the Clean
Air Act by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
Please help us improve our case studies and activities by asking your students to complete
the feedback form after each activity. These may be printed and mailed to us at:
EEOP - AQCP
NAU Box 5768
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5768
A feedback form with space for 1 case study
and 3 activities can be printed here.
Feel free to send multiple copies if you use more than this number of cases and/or
activities from these materials.
General Air Quality Activities
- The Pyramid Game - This activity provides opportunities for students to learn about specific air pollutants and their effects on the environment and on public health.
- In a Polluted Cloud - This activity/demonstration shows students what impact cold weather may have on wood smoke and other pollutants.
- Air Quality Word Search - This is a PDF file, so you will need Adobe
Acrobat Reader to open it. It's free!
Last updated: May 26, 2005