Environmental Education Outreach Program banner

Northern Arizona University

©2002 Environmental Education Outreach Program & Northern Arizona University
This site is maintained by EEOP, please send your comments.

Chapter 5, Section 1:
Types of Financial Aid

Financing a college education is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. The pieces come in different sizes and shapes; together they create a design that will show you the way to pay for college. How do you know which pieces to try? Every college has a financial aid office. If you have submitted your paper work on time, the financial aid office will piece together a financial aid package that should cover your expenses. When you apply to the colleges of your choice, they will ask you if you want financial aid and they will request that you fill out a FAFSA. FAFSA is the U.S. government’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid, online at: www.fafsa.ed.gov/. It should be completed and submitted by the January before you plan to begin college. Not only the government, but the colleges and the tribes use your FAFSA information to determine your eligibility for various sorts of financial support.

Be sure to Apply
“Every American family is qualified to participate in at least one of the federal aid programs. You should apply for aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid even if you think you might not be eligible. Additionally, about half of the scholarship funds provided by the University of Arizona are issued to students who have financial need as determined by the FAFSA data. You can be considered only if you have FAFSA information on file, so be sure to apply.”
University of Arizona, Financial Aid Office, http://w3.arizona.edu/~finaid/

Financial aid comes in the form of scholarships, grants, loans and employment. In Arizona, all students whose grade point average is in the top 5% (of their class or statewide?) are eligible for a full tuition waver at any state college or university. Students whose grades are in the top 10% receive a 2/3 tuition waver. Grants are funds for your education that you do not repay, and Federal Pell Grants are important early pieces in the financial aid puzzle for millions of students. Your college’s financial aid office will know of other grants for which you may be qualified. Scholarships are like grants and do not need to be repaid. There are two types: those that are awarded by your college and those that are given by off-campus organizations, tribes or individuals. You must submit separate scholarship applications to your college for on-campus awards. In order to qualify for off-campus, independent scholarships, you must apply individually to each organization or tribe. You will find a list of web sites with links to scholarships expressly for American Indian students in Section 2 of this chapter, but two good places to start are:

Some Arizona tribes have their own tribal scholarship funds. Students must apply to their own tribal scholarship offices in order to be considered for these awards. Scholarship money is not usually paid to the student, but is sent to the college to pay your bills. You must submit a special application to your tribe for these funds. A discussion of tribal scholarships is at www.nau.edu/~finaid/OtherProgram/TribalProg.html

Tribal Scholarship Office Phone Numbers
Cocopah 1-520-627-4973
Colorado River (toll free) 1-800-809-6207
Gila River (toll free) 1-800-448-6918
Hualapai 1-520-769-2216
Hopi (toll free) 1-800-762-9630
Navajo (toll free) 1-800-243-2956
Navajo 1-520-871-2435
Pascua Yaqui (toll free) 1-800-572-7282
Pueblo of Laguna 1-505-552-6654
Pueblo of Zuni 1-505-782-2191
Quechan 1-760-572-2314
Salt River Pima-Maricopa 1-602-874-8300
San Carlos Apache 1-520-475-2336
Tohono O'Odham (toll free) 1-800-966-3426
White Mountain Apache 1-520-338-5800
Yavapai Apache 1-520-567-9204

There are many kinds of loans available for college and they all must be repaid. Educational loans may be provided by the federal government or by private banks and financial institutions. Some states, like Alaska, offer college loans to their citizens. If you are eligible for loans, your financial aid office will select those pieces of the puzzle for you and you and your parent or guardian must sign the promissory note that commits you to repayment. Since not all loans are based on financial need, most applicants qualify for some form of loan. Repayment of most educational loans does not begin until after you graduate or terminate at least part time enrollment at college.

Employment is another form of financial support for students. Universities and colleges have many kinds of jobs that are open to students, and priority often goes to students in need. These work-study jobs can be arranged to fit your class schedule. Some on-campus, part time jobs are available in your field of study, but you may choose to work off-campus. It is important to test your ability to both hold down a job and complete your studies. Your class work may prove more demanding than you expected and you will probably need to spend more time studying than earning money. For this reason it is necessary that you submit your FAFSA and college financial aid documents before the deadline expires.



Environmental Education Outreach Program (EEOP)
Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals (ITEP)
PO Box 5768     Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5768     Phone: (928) 523-1275     Fax: (928) 523-1280
E-mail: eeop@nau.edu

Last updated: May 27, 2005