Self-study team inviting participation in task forces
The steering committee preparing for Northern Arizona University's comprehensive review for accreditation renewal is inviting staff, faculty, students and community members to communicate their interest in serving on one of five self-study task forces. The task forces will be formed within the next month and the self-study work will begin in earnest in August, continuing through fall 2006.
In the self-study, NAU will assess its strengths and identify opportunities for improvement. The process will be useful in the accreditation evaluation as well as guide the university in investing future energy and resources.
The Self-Study Team will consult and collaborate with the larger Self-Study Steering Committee to direct the self-study. The Steering Committee will orchestrate the efforts of five task forces, each of which will focus on one criterion for accreditation:
- Mission and Integrity—The organization operates with integrity to ensure the fulfillment of its mission through structures and processes that involve the board, administration, faculty, staff and students.
- Preparing for the Future—The organization's allocation of resources and its processes for evaluation and planning demonstrate its capacity to fulfill its mission, improve the quality of its education, and respond to future challenges and opportunities.
- Student Learning and Effective Teaching—The organization provides evidence of student learning and teaching effectiveness that demonstrates it is fulfilling its educational mission.
- Acquisition, Discovery and Application of Knowledge—The organization promotes a life of learning for its faculty, administration, staff, and students by fostering and supporting inquiry, creativity, practice, and social responsibility in ways consistent with its mission.
- Engagement and Service—As called for by its mission, the organization identifies its constituencies and serves them in ways both value.
"Serving on a task force is a great opportunity to become better acquainted with the institution and colleagues from throughout the university while contributing to an important institutional project," said Karen Pugliesi, vice provost for Undergraduate Studies. Task force members will conduct a focused study of multiple facets of the university in relation to a single criterion of accreditation, and engage other members of the campus community in the self-study process.
Those interested in serving on a task force should send a message to: NCASelf-Study@nau.edu. Please indicate the task force in which you have the strongest interest.
Further information about institutional accreditation and the self-study process is available at Northern Arizona University's Institutional Accreditation web site. If you have questions about the accreditation process or the task forces, please contact Karen.Pugliesi@nau.edu.