Purchasing Policy and Procedure
Return of Merchandise
RESPONSIBILITY OF ORDERING DEPARTMENT AND Purchasing Services
Departments desiring to return merchandise to vendors must
first contact Purchasing Services (in writing) explaining
the reason for the return and forward a copy to Accounts Payable.
Purchasing Services will secure permission from the vendor
and will arrange for the material to be picked up and returned.
If the incorrect material delivery is due to an ordering
error, the vendor is under no obligation to accept the return
and may impose a restocking charge. The buyer will negotiate
to reduce this charge whenever possible. This restocking charge
will be the responsibility of the requesting department.
Departments receiving credit memos for the return of merchandise
should forward them to Accounts Payable with complete information
including purchase order number. Accounts Payable will use
this credit memo on the next payment to the vendor and credit
the original area/orgn. If a credit memo is not used within
a reasonable time, Accounts Payable will request a cash refund
from the vendor and credit the original area/orgn. (Note:
Some companies will not give cash refunds.)
This policy may not apply to overshipment of merchandise
or duplicate items received from vendors. (See section
Return of merchandise which was purchased against a departmental
purchase order (PD) is the responsibility of the ordering
A Return Request Form must be completed in order to return
material through the Shipping and Receiving Department. The
forms can be obtained through either the Shipping and Receiving
department or Purchasing Services.
- Obtain authorization from the vendor to return the merchandise.
Generally the vendor will issue a Return Material Authorization
number (RMA). In some cases the vendor will send out labels
which must be affixed to the package or return.
- Fill out the following areas on the Return Request Form
- Date - current date.
- Originator/phone - this should be an individual
who is familiar with the transaction.
- Area/Orgn/SO (area/organization/sub-organization)
- provide this information if freight charges are
to be paid by department.
- Material Location - provide the building and room
number where the material is to be picked up and include
the number of packages being returned. THE RRF
NUMBER MUST BE CLEARLY MARKED ON EACH PACKAGE.
- Doc ID/line # - the Advantage document and line
number for the original purchase.
- Reason for Return - short explanation of why material
is being returned.
- Authorized Signature - an authorized representative
for the department must sign the RRF.
- Return to - the vendor, complete address and contact
person must be provided.
- Return Material Authorization (RMA) as evidence
that the return was authorized.
- Check One - one of these must be checked. If "UPS
call tag" is checked, the RRF number must be
referenced on the call tag. All "Collect"
returns must have prior approval of vendor.
- Special Instructions - if "other" is marked
in item 10, use this area to indicate how return is
to be made. This can also be used to supply additional
information pertaining to the return.
- The requesting department must keep the pink copy of
the form to identify material for pick- up. After pick-up,
this copy should be retained for departmental records.
- The white copy of the completed RRF is sent to the Shipping
and Receiving Department. Upon receipt of the completed
RRF, Shipping and Receiving schedules the pick-up and
return of the merchandise. Copies of the RRF are to be
forwarded to Purchasing and Accounts Payable.