Most teachers know (and the research confirms) that performance-based feedback in the moment is a key to student success.
GPS is an academic early alert tool that converts your quick input into
- a personalized email message to the student
- a notification in the student’s MyNAU (student portal)
- an official entry in the student’s LOUIE record
Note: unlike other early alert systems, there is no “middle-man” in GPS- your message goes directly to the student and the documentation of your message in the student LOUIE record creates a composite of student performance based on instructor feedback that improves advisor and administrative interventions.
GPS is a flexible, time-saving tool
- You determine the criteria and timing of its use.
- Literally do it in a few clicks if you choose.
How it works
You enter a student message in GPS (located in Faculty Center)
When you click “Send”
- an email is sent from you to the student
- a notification is placed in the student's MyNAU (portal)
- a LOUIE comment is posted in student record
- and the message is saved in GPS student history for you
In addition to your personalized message, the email contains
- a link to online student resources (ResourceConnect)
- actions to consider
- Important Dates (links to official academic enrollment calendars)
Ultimately, your GPS message enables campus-wide support for student success
When to GPS
GPS frequency and timing may depend upon
- the length of the session
- curriculum flow
- deadlines for student decision-making
GPS can be used to
- alert an individual
- update all students in a class (called a "checkpoint") - this informs students in your class that you have reviewed their grades and performance, and you do not have concerns at this time. Student is still provided with resources and important dates in the GPS email.
The are 4 academic topics which help categorize information for all users. But it is your criteria that determines usage.
- GPS students who are missing class, showing up late, possibly attending the wrong section.
- Attendance will send a general message of concern with just a click of the check box.
- GPS students who are slipping behind or showing improvement.
- This grade comment feature allows you to send students specific grade information - FERPA compliant
- Grades are not copied into the text of the email due to FERPA
- A secure hyperlink opens the grade in a LOUIE screen accessible only by the student
- Grades can be entered in letter or numeric format
- Do not enter grades in any other text box except Grade
- Use the academics message for specific student issues such as falling behind on work, not engaging with the group, or needing to study differently for tests.
- Academics requires a typed message; this category is interpreted as signaling a concern with student performance.
- Make your own recommendations and referrals for improvement, such as seeking a tutor or attending Supplemental Instruction.
- Use the positive feedback message for students making improvements, doing well, or needing encouragement.
- Positive Feedback requires a typed message; this category is interpreted as positive commentary.
- Your comments are copied verbatim into the student email and sent directly to the student
- No names necessary- student name and your name are auto-populated
- Enter grades only in secure grade text box
For questions please contact:
GPS Coordinator at (928)523-4772 or firstname.lastname@example.org.